Spiced Apple Chutney (no cooking required!)
Chutney is a great way of using fruits from a harvest.
There are plenty of tasty British apples that store all the way through the winter so there is no excuse not to waste away these winter days concocting yummy chutney.
Why not try this no-cook spiced apple chutney for starters?
Remember to use fairtrade, organic and local produce, if you can’t find something in the ingredients then substitute it with an alternative. The best chutneys are freestyle!
2 large apples peeled, cored and diced
(pick from varieties stored at the end of harvest season
Adams’ Pearmain, Winter King or a locally grown Braeburn)
1 red onion, finely chopped
80ml red wine vinegar
40g dark brown soft sugar
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon cumin
pinch of cayenne
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Give them a good stir.
3. Season generously with salt and pepper.
4. Pour into a sterilized jar and refrigerate.
5. Leave for 2 – 3 days, shaking once a day, before eating.
6. Keep and enjoy for up to a week more.